Friday 12 April 2013

A letter to William Golding


Hello Mr. Golding:
I am writing this letter to say goodbye, because the novel “lord of the flies ” are being taken out of the curriculum. I came to study in Canada for grade 11 and grade 12. “Lord of the flies” is the first English novel I have read, and the first time I have studied a whole novel.
This book inspired me to think about human nature. Ancient Chinese philosophers, like Confusions, adhere the idea that human is inherently good, which is also the concept that I had been inculcated, but this book overthrows my mind. You took an objective narrator’s perspective and descripted a children’s world: Ralph’s braveness and rationality, Piggy’s self-pride and self-abasement, Simon’s insight and probity, and jack’s ambition. But all these are corroded by bestiality and savagery; the gradually losing humanity of those pure little kids makes me scare. If I am also one of them on the island, can I still keep calm, rational and adhere to what I have believed? This exposure makes me question my perspective on human, including myself.
Thales once said that know oneself is the hardest thing in the world. Throughout the studies of Lord of the Flies, I think I had known more about myself. I am sorry for those who might not have the chance to experience the subtleness and the profoundness of this book anymore. The book is going to be replaced, but the combat, which happened on the island, between civilization and savagery, a performing of history, also an alluding of future, will never end.
Farewell, Mr. Golding. I will always have Lord of the Flies on my bookshelf.
Sincerely
Charles Ye

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your letter to William Golding shows how much a fictional book can change a student's views on studying novels and reading in general. If fictional books do get substituted for informational texts in English classes, it will be difficult for other students to experience the same revelations that you have experienced after reading "Lord Of The Flies".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very lucky that the first english book you read was Lord of the Flies as it is one of my favourite novels. If you never read this book you may never have learned so much about yourself that you did reading the novel. If books like this are removed other students will not be able to question them selves and find more of their deeper, inner thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you said that this book was the first time that you had read a whole English novel. I'm sure that this book will stick with you forever now because of that. I agree that this book does teach a person many things about a person's self and other people around them.

    ReplyDelete