Friday 12 April 2013

Poem


I am from the toy cars lining up beside a small bed,
a Bookshelf so tall that I could never reach its third row,
and a south-facing window that gives me warm, golden sunshine.
I am from the sunflower trying to grow out of my window,
            and the apricot tree, whose long gone limbs I remember as if they were my own.
I am from the willows that never stop dancing,
the breeze that gently hugs everyone who walks by western lake,
and the delicate, slender hand that never let go of mine.
I am from the lamp that is still on at 4 am,
            the watery sunlight shining through chink in the curtains,
            and the long crow of rooster splitting the gray morning sky.
I am from the roar of the huge airplanes,
            the steel wings that pierce through the sun,
            and the moist, worm Shanghai air, the smell of home.
I am from the a slide so long that never end,
a swing so old that it is swings and sings,
and a bicycle always silently lying in the back yard, with a wheel that had twice the size of my head.

1 comment:

  1. I really liked your last stanza. There's just something about how beautifully simple your line, "a swing so old that it is swings and sings," is. The descriptiveness in this poem is great. It's clear that literature has had such a large enough effect on you that all these little details have stayed with you throughout your life. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete